Enter content here
Enter content here
Library Assignment for FCCS 1100 –Fall Semester 2009
Information Competency Statement: After participating in the orientation, students will be able to complete the Library Exercise that follows. In answering the questions correctly, students will be able to demonstrate their information competency; that is, they will be able to determine the nature and extent of information needed to answer the questions, and be able to access information effectively and efficiently.
1. Using the Search for Books@ GHC (GIL) link, perform a search for the book, When All the Laughter Died in Sorrow. Does GHC own a copy? Name at least one other library in the University System of Georgia that also owns a copy.
2. There was a book written about Elvis Presley and it had the word, “Memphis,” in the title. Does GHC have a book that meets that description? If so, what is the title of the book, who is the author, and on which campus is it located?
3. Using the Georgia Library Catalogs database in GALILEO, find a book belonging to the Berry College library that pertains to hibernation and mammals. Remember that Berry is a private academic institution. What is the title of the book?
4. Using GALILEO, find the subject category for “History,” and then choose “Georgia History and Culture” from the drop-down menu box. Go to the New Georgia Encyclopedia database, and perform a search for “Alex Cooley.” Find an article that covers his life. What was his major contribution to the City of Atlanta?
5. Using the Literature Online Reference Edition database in GALILEO, find a bibliography of the works of William Faulkner. What book of his was published in 1930, and what number is it on the list of 73 titles in his bibliography?
6. There is one database in GALILEO that contains full-text articles from the International Journal of Primatology. What database is it, and what is the first year that full-text articles are available?
7. Is there a GALILEO database where one can find primary source documents that relate to the removal of the Cherokee Indians from Georgia and the Southeast? If so, what is the name of the database?
8. Using the GALILEO database, CINAHL with Full Text, how many full-text, peer-reviewed articles can you find, that were published in the year, 2006, that deal with some aspect of “Parkinson’s Disease” and “treatment?”
9. Using Hoover’s Company Capsules and Profiles, in GALILEO, do a search for Mayfield Dairy Farms, LLC. Mayfield is now owned by another company. What is the name of the parent company?
10. You have been asked to write a paper on globalization (which is due in three weeks). You have never done a “pro vs. con” paper before. The SKS Webselect database, in GALILEO, is a good place to start and has a section on globalization. What are two Suggested Keywords (other terms you might use for globalization)? This answer can be found in the SEE ALSO section of the homepage on “globalization.”
ANSWER KEY TO FCCS 1100 IC ASSIGNMENT/ Fall 2009
1. No. Any one of these library locations is an acceptable answer. UGA, Augusta State, Clayton State, Columbus State, Ga. College & State University, Gordon College, Univ. of West Ga., and Valdosta State.
2. Yes. “Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley” by Peter Guralnick, and the book can be found on the Floyd Campus.
3. “Hibernation and Torpor in Mammals and Birds”
4. He brought rock and roll to Atlanta.
5. “As I Lay Dying” (No. 9 on the citation list)
6. Ebsco Academic Search Complete. 1997 is the first year that full-text articles became available in this database.
7. Yes, and the name of the database is Southeastern Native American Documents, 1730-1842.
9. Dean Foods.
10. Any two keywords, or phrases, in the following list will be sufficient to answer this one:
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation
Central American Free Trade Agreement
Free Trade Agreement (U.S. and Canada)
Free Trade Area of the Americas
Globalization, Moral and ethical aspects
Group of Eight
International Monetary Fund
North American Free Trade Agreement
Offshore assembly industry
World Trade Organization
2. Using the GALILEO database, MEDLINE with full-text, how many full-text articles can you find on the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease in the professional journal, “Lancet?”
3. I am looking for any books that might cover the history of an obscure 1970s rock and roll band named Grand Funk Railroad. Are there any books out there on the band, and, if so, how many?
4. A friend of mine said that he found a netLibrary book on bodybuilding and steroids. In one section of the book, the author discusses the “Superman Syndrome,” and writes that this condition is “not considered a direct physiological effect of steroids.” What is the title of the netLibrary book to which he is referring, and what is the page number where I can find this quote?
5. Does the Georgia Highlands Library have a copy of the book, EKG plain and simple by Karen M. Ellis? If not, which libraries in the University System of Georgia own a copy?
6. Who designed the Arsenal in Danzig?
7. What percentage of the population in Floyd County, Georgia, has a Bachelor’s degree or higher according to the 2000 U.S. Census?
8. I heard that a sister of Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote a book about him. If Kirkus reviewed the book, what did they say about it?
9. East Timor has a national language called Tetum. I heard that the country wanted to again make Portuguese an official language. What language was the official language?
10. What are the three top competitors of Thomson-Gale?
ORIENTATION – Fall 2007
, then click on the link entitled “Library”
Features of the Home Page
A. Library Services
Ask a Librarian__________________________________________________________
ILL Form (Articles)______________________________________________________
ILL Form (Books)________________________________________________________
B. Library Catalogs
Features of the “Results List”
Publication year Call Number
Connect to GALILEO
*GALILEO Quick Search:
*Note: Quick Search is more like “quick sand.” Avoid it at all costs! If you are going to search, go to the Subject Tabs at top of screen, and find those databases relevant to your course of study. Examples follow:
Subject Tabs (at top of screen):
Once you narrow your search to a particular subject category, and begin choosing specific databases, you have a better (and faster) chance of finding what you are looking for.
OR, you can go straight to a specific database to begin your search.
Subject Databases that will be especially helpful to your research needs:
Academic Search Complete Humanities International Complete
History Reference Center LION
Masterfile Premier Literature Reference Center
Research Library MLA International Bibliography
World History Collection
Business and Economics: Nursing and Allied Health:
Business Source Complete CINAHL with Full-Text
Hoover’s Company Capsules Health Source: Nursing/Academic Ed.
Medline with Full-Text
ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source
Education: Political Science:
ERIC Academic Search Complete
Georgia Dept. of Education Census Data
Professional Development Collection Lexis-Nexis
Psychology & Behavioral Sci. Collection Sociological Abstracts
PsychINFO Sociological Collection
Other databases that might prove useful include:
NetLibrary (great for locating and reading e-books for all subjects online)
Worldcat (great for locating books and journal titles worldwide)
SKS Webselect (great for selecting websites that are authoritative and academic)
Get the GALILEO Password
Online Library Learning Center*
*Note: Pay close attention to Units 7, 8, and 9.
Internet Assignment # 3
Internet Assignment 3
Answer each question, save your document, and then return to me as an attachment.
From the Georgia Highlands homepage: www.highlands.edu
The Great GALILEO
Enter content here
Enter content here